Saturday, September 15, 2007

Nigga

I'm Torn. I am a black man who is definitely into racial reconciliation. However, I see some issues just won't change. I pitched this question to my young people I asked "Why do we say nigga? and "why is it okay for some and not okay for others"? The response I got was this " nigga is a term that we (blacks) can use towards one another because we understand, however, a white person can't say it because they don't understand".

I have been guilty of using the word. When using it with friends I didn't see a problem. However, I started thinking "was this the idea". Was this the plan the whole time. To finally get this group of people to conform to what name was given to them. Was this a ploy to continue to oppress. Because if a person hates themselves or see themselve as ignorant they will never thrive to become any thing more. They would hate themsleves so much that they will kill people who look like them. They will sell drugs to people who look just like them. They would disrespect women who look just like them. They will cause affliction to those who look like them while giving honor to those who gave him the hatred of himself in the first place.

A few years ago Michael Jackson used the word "Kike" which is a word to Jews equal to nigger. The Jewish community rose up and would not tolerate it. They don't refer to themselves like that so therefore nobody else could. That is a major stand for group of people. However, back to the word nigga it is used so much in music, movies, and society period do we embrace it in our culture or do we continue to try to erase it from our vocabulary. But even if we change our vocabulary if the mind is still a nigger then it doesn't matter. What steps should be taken if any? How do we change minds?

Here are two different views that are enlightening:





Share your thoughts

No comments:

Sharing Knowledge..Uplifting Community